Monday 18 November 2013

Deacon's Blog



So here I am, after all this time preparing to become a deacon, I have finally arrived.  But where have I arrived? 

It’s a bit of a shock to realize I haven’t arrived anywhere.  It’s more like I’ve finally been allowed to get on the bus; the journey is just beginning. With all the focus being on ordination, it was easy to forget that being ordained only gave me permission to be a deacon; it didn’t make me a deacon. 

 What makes for being a deacon is serving; serving the community of St Joseph and the community at large.  I suspect that the first six months of this new life (and yes, being ordained is like starting a new life) will be ‘on the job training’. Please try to be patient with me. Most of the instructions that come with this job are rather sketchy, and I will need a lot of help figuring out what I am meant to become. 

 In the meantime please feel free to give me your input (like I need to give St Joseph people permission to tell me what they think…ha). I will try to make entries to this blog every week or two. Telling you what I am up to and what I think is important for you to know.  A deacon needs to open up the doors of the church; so that the community can see in, and the congregation can see out.  I promise to do my best.

Peace and all good,
Mark…

1 comment:

  1. Once again, Congratulations, Mark! Looking forward to thought-provoking posts!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete